Monday 25 August 2008

Supermarket sorrow

A LOT of my posts on here will no doubt be related to television - I do tend to watch a lot.
 However despite having literally hundreds of channels and programmes to choose from, my first post has to be about an advert.
 I won't name the supermarket, but honestly who ever thought the set of ads were a good idea should be forcefed supermarket own-brand grey non-specific species fishcakes. 
 I'm talking about the ones in which a bedraggled-looking woman turns up after a hard day's work and is complaining about her shoes pinching, to another considerably more smiley person - the latter turns out to be one of the said supermarket's employees (although seriously I've never seen anyone who works in a supermarket smile that much, or in fact at all) who welcomes the woman in to the supermarket.
 All the staff know her name and they indulge in a spot of banter before listing the special offers. See it as the Cheers of supermarkets if you like.
 There are other ads in this series, my particular favourite is the one in which another middle-aged woman is very pleased with herself as all the staff remark on what a lovely dress she is wearing; she gloats that her husband bought it and he will also be cooking dinner for her. 
 I know the supermarket is obviously trying to show that they are nice and welcoming, but to me it just shows it's a sanctuary for tired aging women; that this is as good as it gets. Their only friends are the staff who humour them as they turn up time after time in slippers/pinching shoes.  Their only glimmers of hope involve getting their lazy teenage sons to do the washing-up, or that their husbands will finally return from the high-powered job to offer a bit of home cooking and attention - an offer which she has evidently been nagging him to do for ages. Seriously, is that it? Is that all there is to middle-aged life for a woman? Somebody pass me the fishcakes.

No comments: